Information Technology High School
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled" (Plutarch, Greek writer/historian, c. 46 – 120 CE).
New York City Department of Education
Ms. Conn's Contact Email: email@example.com
I am a full-time English teacher at ITHS.
Check out the ENGLISH DEPARTMENT GRADING POLICY.
CLASSWORK AND HOMEWORK: FALL, 2016
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
--Lao-Tzu (BC 600-?, Chinese philosopher, founder of Taoism)
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”-Maya Angelou (rest in peace, April 4, 1928-May 28, 2014)
REACH FOR THE STARS!
"Since most of us spend our lives doing ordinary tasks, the most important thing is to carry them out extraordinarily well." -Henry David Thoreau
"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere." ~Chinese Proverb
Language and Literacy
- Today's Quote of the Day. Use this site to think deeply about your own life. It's also a great site to help prepare for the Critical Lens Essay (an essay on the ELA Regents).
- Word of the Day (Merriam-Webster)
- Today's Word of the Day. Be sure to use this site for ROOTS.
- Misspelled Word of the Week
- Literary Elements and Techniques (courtesy of Mr. Nellen)
- Poem a Day
- Today in Literature
- On This Day
- Cyber Library
- Mr. Nellen's CyberEnglish page
Test Prep: ENGLISH REGENTS and THE SAT
- English Regents Exam Strategies for Teachers and Students
- English Regents Exam Prep Center
*Challenging questions on reading passages will often ask main idea, specific details, author's purpose, author's tone, mood, setting, major events of the plot, inference, narrator's point of view, character traits, use of vocabulary, the cause and effect of events in the reading, and comparison/contrast to other literature.
- Ms. Conn's SAT VOCABULARY LISTS
- MORE SAT VOCABULARY--a very useful site with countless vocabulary words and ready-made flashcards! *Thank you to Albert Leung for finding this great resource.
- SAT critical reading questions
- SAT Tip of the Day
- Etymology: Origins and History of Words
- EVEN MORE SAT Vocabulary Words
- Vocabulary and Hip-Hop
EXTRA-CURRICULAR PROGRAMS (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
- CAT Youth Theatre Program (September-May)
- CAT Youth Theatre Application
Seven Habits of Proficient Readers:
- Making Connections
- Visualizing (creating mental images)
- Determining Importance
- Summarizing and Synthesizing
- Making Inferences
- Monitoring for Meaning
© H. Conn 2014